By Rudolf Pell Gaudio
A wealthy and engrossing account of 'sexual outlaws' within the Hausa-speaking sector of northern Nigeria, the place Islamic legislations calls for strict separation of the sexes and varied principles of habit for ladies and males in nearly each part of lifestyles.
- The first ethnographic examine of sexual minorities in Africa, and one in all only a few works on sexual minorities within the Islamic international
- Engagingly written, combining leading edge, ethnographic narrative with analyses of sociolinguistic transcripts, old texts, and renowned media, together with video, movie, newspapers, and song-poetry
- Analyzes the social stories and expressive tradition of ‘yan daudu (feminine males in Nigerian Hausaland) when it comes to neighborhood, nationwide, and worldwide debates over gender and sexuality on the flip of the twenty-first century
- Winner of the 2009 Ruth Benedict Prize within the class of "Outstanding Monograph"
Chapter 1 Introducing ‘Yan Daudu (pages 1–28):
Chapter 2 humans of the Bariki (pages 29–60):
Chapter three Out within the Open (pages 61–88):
Chapter four Women's speak, Men's secrets and techniques (pages 89–116):
Chapter five twiddling with religion (pages 117–142):
Chapter 6 males on movie (pages 143–174):
Chapter 7 misplaced and located in Translation (pages 175–195):
Read Online or Download Allah Made Us: Sexual Outlaws in an Islamic African City PDF
Best sexuality books
Allure, mating, copy: it's a on condition that as a species, people are fascinated by intercourse. And even if the examine compares sexual behaviors of fellows and girls or considers the proportions among nature and nurture, such a lot roads lead again to our far away ancestors and/or our fellow animals.
The Evolution of Sexuality collects stimulating new empirical findings and theoretical techniques relating to either known subject matters and rising components of curiosity. Following prior titles during this sequence, an interdisciplinary panel of participants examines issues particular to the whys of female and male sex-related habit, the following starting from organic bases for male same-sex appeal to the probably elusive goal of the feminine orgasm. This vantage element among biology and psychology provides readers profound insights not only into human adjustments and similarities, but additionally why they proceed to topic regardless of our substantial figuring out of tradition and socialization. And exciting dispatches from the arts evaluate sexual topics in vintage works of literature and discover the position of parent-offspring clash within the English Revolution of the 17th century. one of the subject matters covered:
* Sexual clash and evolutionary psychology: towards a unified framework.
* Assortative mating, caste, and class.
* The sensible layout and phylogeny of girl sexuality.
* Is oral intercourse a kind of mate retention behavior?
* behavioral hypotheses for the evolution or male homosexuality in humans.
* Sperm pageant and the evolution of human sexuality.
The Evolution of Sexuality will allure evolutionary scientists throughout a number of disciplines. school, graduate and undergraduate scholars, and researchers drawn to sexuality will locate it a springboard for dialogue, debate, and additional learn.
This exceptional paintings presents either the historical past of intercourse paintings during this quarter in addition to an exam of current-day intercourse tourism. according to interviews with intercourse employees, brothel vendors, neighborhood citizens and travelers, Kamala Kempadoo deals a bright account of what lifestyles is like on this planet of intercourse tourism in addition to its entrenched roots in colonialism and slavery within the Caribbean.
- The Different Faces of Motherhood
- Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders
- Psychology of Gender, 4th Edition
- El libro del sexo (Del sexo a la superconsciencia)
- Family Assessment: Rationale, Methods and Future Directions
- The Story of Owen: One Man's Submissive Journey
Extra info for Allah Made Us: Sexual Outlaws in an Islamic African City
Qxd 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 10/02/2009 11:25 Page 27 Belt – where the majority of residents were (and in many cases still are) neither Muslim nor native speakers of Hausa. I use the phrase “Islamic reformist” to refer to social movements that seek to bring Muslims’ social practices into conformity with the norms that prevailed in the earliest Muslim community during the lifetime of the Prophet Muhammad. To the extent that such movements advocate or engage in political action, I call them ‘Islamist’ (Soares 2005; Kane 2003; Umar 1993).
On the few occasions when I was present for a raid, the police ignored me. One night I accompanied Hajiya Asabe and a group of his friends to the police station, where another friend of theirs was being detained. As we waited around for the ‘fine’ to be processed, I was struck by how calm and ordinary the scene appeared. qxd 10/02/2009 11:25 Page 31 shoppers bargained with vendors at the nearby Sabon Gari market. Afterwards, when Hajiya Asabe’s friend had been released and we were walking him home, I heard numerous curses and complaints about the police, but these too sounded routine.
Leap and Lewin (1996); Kulick and Willson (1995). Abdullahi (1984). Yusuf (1974). Cf. White (1990), Stoler (1995), Ferguson (1999). Callaway (1987), Coles and Mack (1991); Hutson (1999, 2001); Werthmann (1997, 2000); Cooper (1997); Nast (2005). qxd 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 10/02/2009 11:25 Page 28 38 39 Pittin (1983, 2003); Cooper (1995); Masquelier (1995). Besmer (1983); Masquelier (2001); O’Brien (2007); Krings (1999). Casey (1998); Watts (1999); O’Brien (2007). Last (1991); Casey (2008). Whitsitt (1998); Larkin (2002b; 2008); Adamu (2006); Furniss (2003).
Allah Made Us: Sexual Outlaws in an Islamic African City by Rudolf Pell Gaudio