By Timothy Beatley
This identify bargains a finished evaluate of coastal making plans and administration matters for college kids and execs within the box. due to the fact e-book of the 1st version in 1994, inhabitants development and lengthening improvement pressures on our coasts have made the necessity for forward-looking, inventive and sustainable visions for the long run even higher. This revised variation comprises: considerably up to date info and information together with discussions of inhabitants and progress tendencies, federal and nation coastal costs, catastrophe suggestions expenses and harm degrees from typhoon and coastal storms; up-to-date legislative and programmatic fabric, together with the Stafford Act and mitigation counsel programmes, and adjustments within the Coastal area administration Act; extended assurance of actual and organic attributes and prerequisites of the coastal region; elevated and up to date discussions of leading edge neighborhood coastal administration; and new chapters on artistic coastal layout and improvement and classes from coastal programmes in different international locations. "An creation to Coastal quarter administration" addresses the intense coastal traits and pressures within the US, assesses the present coverage and making plans framework, and places forth a imaginative and prescient for destiny administration and sustainable coastal making plans. it truly is an immense source for undergraduate and graduate scholars of coastal making plans in addition to for neighborhood and country officers, citizens of coastal groups, environmental advocates, builders and others serious about coastal matters.
Read Online or Download An Introduction to Coastal Zone Management PDF
Best urban & land use planning books
An erudite mirrored image that moves domestic as baby-boomers watch their mom and dad fade and locate it not easy to move on ignoring the truth of demise ? specifically our personal.
Around the constructing global the previous decade or so has witnessed a profound reconfiguration of the political economic system of city coverage. This new coverage atmosphere is pushed through globalization, the neo-liberal macro-economic package deal of 'market enablement' and structural adjustment, which now shape the dominant improvement paradigm.
Towns will proceed to deal with the car, but if towns are equipped round them, the standard of human and typical existence declines. present developments convey nice promise for destiny city mobility platforms that permit freedom and connection, yet now not dependence. we're experiencing the phenomenon of top motor vehicle use in lots of international towns while that city rail is flourishing, imperative towns are revitalizing, and suburban sprawl is reversing.
- Cyber Cities
- The Post-Socialist City: Urban Form and Space Transformations in Central and Eastern Europe after Socialism (GeoJournal Library)
- Open space : people space
- Planning and Urban Growth in Nordic Countries (Studies in History, Planning and the Environment)
- Planning Urban Places: Self-Organising Places with People in Mind
Additional info for An Introduction to Coastal Zone Management
The coastal zone is hazardous because humans have made it so. Coastal storms have no power to create thousands or even millions of dollars in damage to property if no property is within the storm’s reach, nor can a storm kill people if no people are in its path. Of course, there are hazard mitigation practices that can lessen the impact of a storm on a coastal community. For instance, buildings can be designed and constructed to withstand all but the most forceful winds and wave surge. Well-planned and executed evacuation measures can reduce the risk to humans by getting them out of the way before a storm hits land.
Hurricanes have social and economic effects that are felt by residents and businesses alike. Here, a commercial district in Kinston, North Carolina is flooded following Hurricane Floyd in 1999. 6. Hurricanes pose significant risk to the East and Gulf coasts of the United States. This figure depicts the paths of all Atlantic Basin hurricanes from 1886 to 1996. ) tropical storm is not uniform but varies geographically. As might be expected, certain states are more exposed and have received a greater number of hits.
4. Lotus plants in a Mississippi delta marsh. ) version of land to agricultural production, filling for coastal homesites and development, and construction of canal dredging. In coastal Louisiana, marshes have been disappearing largely as a result of extensive river diversion and flood control levee building. Because the marshlands of the Mississippi delta naturally subside, these flood control projects have deprived the marshes of the needed replacement sediment, so the wetlands are drowning. Because of the extensive levee and channelization project, the Mississippi River now deposits its sediments right off the edge of the continental shelf, losing the material from the coastal system (Chabreck, 1988).
An Introduction to Coastal Zone Management by Timothy Beatley